Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Beware the Flash Floods

After a fairly full day at Bryce, I looked on a map and decided Grosvenor Arch was not too far and by the map, I could get to Escalante (my next day's destination) via an interesting looking 4x4 trail that appeared to be shorter than the highway.

Grosvenor Arch is very cool. After 14 miles down a dirt road, all of a sudden there's thing giant arch taking up the whole skyline. Because of the distance and type of terrain, not so many people head that way. At about 2pm I was on my own. I checked it out and decided I had enough time and so would give climbing it a go. I would only be limited by my lack of equipment which was sadly at home. Check out the video below for details...


After the Arch, I couldn't resist a sign that said road ends in 24 miles. My map didn't show an end - investigation was required. About 4 hours, 6 river crossings, 2 cattle gates and 24 miles later, the road appeared to continue. The light however had different ideas and this wasn't the type of road you travel down at night. In fact, it wasn't so much a road as much as a washed out river bed. Spending the night in a flash flood zone isn't my idea of a good time but with the alternative being driving back the 24 miles in the dark or continuing on a VERY rough trail I didn't know, it was the only sensible option. Next morning all was well and I got up early so I could head back in the direction from whence I came. Although forging ahead would have been fun, I had to start heading back to Vegas for my flight home the next day. Escalante will have to wait for the big trip...

No comments: