Thursday, October 30, 2008

Moab - Truly a mecca for trails

Arriving in Moab was a relief. Little did I know it was Jeep Jamboree weekend. Town was packed with people. Thankfully my arrival Saturday evening meant most of the crowd would be heading home Sunday sometime. Darrin, my couch host had another friend over so we all went on a 4x4 tour of the area Sunday morning, finishing with a visit to Dead Horse Point State Park, a great location overlooking the LaSal Mountains and the Colorado River.
Monday was time to go and play on the slickrock. Grateful for the new rear tire, the world famous Slickrock Bike Trail was a good introduction. Not technically difficult but ledges, cracks and long drops into canyons all take some getting used to. About 10 miles of some great scenery and wild up and down hills.
Tuesday was the real challenge for the bike and its rider. Poison Spider Mesa, Golden Spike and Gold Bar Rim, all trails connected to each other totalling about 16 miles of some of the most hard core riding I've ever experienced. These trails take a toll on your stamina and I couldn't imagine doing them in the middle of summer. This is definately a better time of year, afternoon temp around 75F. These trails include such known obstacles as Launch Pad and Golden Crack, a giant slice across the earth that will swallow a vehicle. It required either a 4' jump across the ravine or a delicate step up over some knarly boulders. Given it was toward the end of the day and I was already drained of energy, the step up seemed safer. Missing the jump would have just meant too much damage to the bike and probably me. At the end of it all was another 15 miles of dirt up to Gemini Bridges. All in all a great day that left me wanting nothing more than to sleep. As it turns out it was 15c wing day at the local pub so they dragged me down there for a few hours. Needless to say I slept well, with only mild lingering pains.
Wednesday was supposed to be departure day but after deciding to take the rack off the truck for some repairs it seemed a pity to not test it on the Hells Revenge Trail. Many ledges, steep ascents and descents plus other exciting and tough spots but there's one particular obstacle called the Dragon's Tail for which you're supposed to have a spotter. You're on a large slickrock plateau and drive toward the edge of this giant cliff, wondering when you get to turn away. At the very edge there's a small ridge (called a fin), near vertical, that goes down the side, barely wide enough for your tires. I was thinking a spotter would be nice but alas travelling alone has its occasional drawbacks. All's well that ends well and 5 hours later I was back on pavement. A challenge to be sure. Skid plates scratched but no damage and some great photos, very thankful for the tough stock equipment on my Tacoma.
With repairs made to my carrier, anti-freeze flushed and replenished in the bike and dust generally removed from the truck I was ready to go early Thursday afternoon. After a brief false start, realising I still had maps belonging to my hosts, I was on my way to Telluride, via the beautiful mountain towns of Paradox and Naturita. Many thanks to Darrin, Eric and Kate - my roommates for a few days in Moab.

No comments: