Friday, October 31, 2008

Telluride - What a Ride

Unplanned stops - they're always the best. On the suggestion of my host in Moab, I took the less travelled route toward Mesa Verde (one that was in the opposite direction). A beautiful mountain drive got me to Telluride, CO in about 3 hours. Angelo, my preplanned couch host suggested I meet him at a friend's place as he was providing some last minute assistance for Halloween costumes. Apparently he's a jack of all trades - a restaurant waiter by night, a tailor by day. The results were quite spectacular. A sexy Little Red Riding Hood / Wench Bodice for one, a cute princessy looking getup for a little girl, a glamorous gloved outfit for another. I don't know if he was getting paid but he certainly did a professional job. I joined him at the restaurant for a few hours, enjoying tapas and wine during happy hour. I then adjourned to the pad - a lovely 3 bed townhouse a few miles from town. My bed for the night was the loft above his bed. Lovely and warm being near the roof. Unfortunately, he neglected to inform one of his roommates I was visiting and that provided some friction this morning.
After a great motorcycle ride up a very rough road to the old Tomboy Mine 3500' above Telluride where it was snowing gently, I headed back to town and decided to leave. My next stop along the way to Durango was Trout Lake to visit Alan, an octogenarian I met at the restaurant last night. He lost his wife 3 years ago and seemed like he would like some company. He lives in an amazing home, at the 10500' foot of some 13500' mountains, overlooking Trout Lake, a town so small it doesn't actually appear on any maps, making it just a little difficult to find - but eventually I did. Apparently he's been house sitting for a couple of Brain Surgeons in California for the last 10 years. I have a private bed and bath with a spectacular mountain view (pictures may be forthcoming). We had a great chat about anything and everything. What better way to spend Halloween. I think I'll invite him to Georgia for Christmas.
Saturday morning will be an early crossing of the Ophir Pass (13000') which will take me just south of Chattanooga (CO, not TN) and into Durango to apparently assist with moving a fridge. The things I do for a bed......

No comments: